We’ve taken a look at the best lipsticks on the market and can help you pick out the best colour for 2016.
This season, we’re having somewhat of a lipstick fixation – okay, a colossal lipstick fixation.
Whether it’s a red, a plum or a bare – there’s a shade out there to suit everybody. What’s more, now, these eye-getting hues come in all surfaces also – from velvet to sheer.
Yet, in the event that you don’t favor purchasing expensive items in the journey to locate your ideal match, then don’t stress, since we’ve been trying out six new accumulations to see which ones fared best in our shading tests…
COVERGIRL CONTINUOUS COLOR LIPSTICK
Beauty ed says: Bonus points for the fancy click-up bullet! This gave me an impressive hit of smooth, satiny colour and still managed to feel featherlight and hydrating on my lips. Nobody would ever guess I was wearing a three-quid lippie.
Clarins by Clarins – WOMEN – Eclat Minute Instant Light Natural Lip Perfector
Beauty ed says: I’m blown away by this mega-creamy, ‘one slick
to a kick-ass lip’ formula. America can keep the weird shades, though – blue lips belong on somebody else’s duck-pout Instagram feed, not my face.
A liner and shiny lip colour in one, launching in six easy-to-wear shades. Because not everyone wants to rock an opaque matte lip.
Beauty ed says: I did a real double-take at this. I was expecting your typical satiny lip crayon, but the effect was exactly like wet-look gloss, minus the gloopy feel. OK, it’s not an all-day affair, but it lasted longer than gloss.
A tech-y lipstick that make-up geeks will love. It comes in 46 shades and a white (no idea why but, er, thanks for trying), and
a choice of cream and matte finishes with ‘triple ground’ pigments for max light reflection.
Beauty ed says: Personally, I like the sleek black and silver styling and the cream formula, which lasts brilliantly for a non-matte lipstick.
Long-lasting liquid lippies with a slim wand for ‘no liner required’ application.
Beauty ed says: Liquid lipstick always looks a bit ‘heavy’ in nude tones, but this range is a real banger for brights (what Illamasqua does best). The initial gloss finish wears off fairly quickly, but the stain underneath is exactly that. Mine was still going strong hours later.
Moisturising Lip Balm
They look like they have a lot of pigment, but they apply much lighter on the lips. The texture feels velvety and, for the price, you can grab all four without any guilt.
“I am a little bit in love with this. It’s not sticky, there’s just enough colour to give lips a nice tint, and the soft applicator made it so easy to apply neatly.
Make-up artist Gary Cockerill has just shared his beauty secrets in his new book, Simply Glamorous. Here are his tips for perfect lips…
● Always exfoliate lips before applying any lipstick, to ensure a smooth base. If you have dry lips, apply a coat of lip balm, let it sink into the skin and then blot off any excess with a tissue.
● If your lipstick doesn’t stay on very long, try using a lip primer first. It’ll help the colour to hold and creates a smooth surface for application.
● Give your lipstick a 3D effect by using lipliner in a shade darker. Soften the liner edges by blending with your lipstick then dab some gloss onto the centre. This creates the look of a fuller pout.
● To make lips stand out even more, take a powder or cream highlighter and apply a bit to the top lip line and in the Cupid’s bow. This will help to draw attention to the curves.
● If you have fair skin, avoid shades that are too beige, as this will make you look pasty, so opt for pink tones. Medium skin tones suit peaches and shimmers. If you have darker skin, sheer nudes make lips look luxurious.